RepositoryLondon Borough of Bromley Archives
LevelFonds
Ref NoC/BROB
TitleRecords of the Borough of Bromley
Date1903 - 1965
DescriptionRecords of the Borough of Bromley -both the Charter Borough from 1903 - 1934 and the Municipal Borough from 1934 -1964.
Administrative HistoryBromley Urban District was granted a charter of incorporation in September 1903 (coming into effect administratively on 9th November 1903) creating the Borough of Bromley.

Under this charter a town council consisting of a mayor, six alderman and 18 councillors replaced the Urban District Council. The Charter had divided the Borough into six wards; Plaistow, Martin's Hill, Town, Sundridge, Bickley and Bromley Common. The town council expanded to seven aldermen and 21 councillors in April 1934 when the Kent Review Order broadened the Borough to include Hayes and parts of Keston which had formerly been part of the disbanded Bromley Rural District.

In 1965 the Municipal Borough was abolished by the Local Government Act, 1963. Its former area became part of the present day London Borough of Bromley.
Access StatusOpen
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020