RepositoryLondon Borough of Bromley Archives
LevelCollection
Ref No688
TitleH G DUNN & SONS LTD
Date1803- 1980
DescriptionRecords of the Dunn family business which orginated as a drapers in 1710 and gradually expanded to include upholstery, furniture and funerals.
Administrative HistoryThe Dunn family can trace their business interests in Bromley back to 1710 when they were drapers. The business gradually expanded to include upholstery, furniture and funerals. During the 19th century, Dunn's provided furniture and fittings for many of the large houses in the area including Sundridge Mansion, Hayes Place, Camden Park and Wickham Court. The business passed in an unbroken line down through the family. In 1914, H G Dunn registered the company as H G Dunn & Sons Ltd. In 1966, Dunn's went into partnership with Heals and Dunns was taken over by Heals when Geoffrey retired in 1976. But late in 1980, the shop was forced to close.

The Dunn family have always had close connections with the church, either as parish clerks or churchwardens, and for a long period maintained the parish registers. They also kept their own supplementary baptism and burial records (now preserved with the Parish registers) and those which survive date back to 1721.
The burial records often provide information not included in the official registers such as the location of each grave, age and occupation of deceased and, occasionally, the cause of death.
Dunn's funeral business commenced in the early 18th century and continued into the 1940s. Some of the account books have survived but many were destroyed, along with other business papers, in the various fires which occurred on Dunn's premises.

Edward Dunn (1818-1909) was a Trustee of the Lascoe Charity fund (c.f. 822) which was founded in 1854 for the relief of poverty stricken tradesmen, and the successive heads of the Dunn family continued to play an active part in this charity until its dissolution in the 1960s.
Dunns remained at 20 Market Square until its closure in 1980. The premises were totally destroyed in 1909 by a spectacular fire which engulfed most of the east side of the Market Square, and for a while, Dunn's were forced to trade from their Widmore Road depository. The Market Square shop reopened in 1922 but in 1941 this building was destroyed by a bomb. However, part of it was incorporated in a smaller building of 1947 which was later extended to form the present building, opened in 1957.
Extent22 Volumes and 68 Items
Access StatusOpen
Created byH G Dunn & Sons Ltd
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020