RepositoryLondon Borough of Bromley Archives
Ref No604
Date1845- 1934
Administrative HistoryBromley Literary Institute was founded in 1845 to provide, at no. 125 High Street, accommodation for members to enjoy a collection of books, newspapers and periodicals. By the end of the year there were 125 members. It also acted as a social centre holding lectures, readings and dramatic or musical entertainments in the White Hart assembly rooms. In 1864 the institute moved to rooms in the new Town Hall until the final move in 1887 to leasehold premises in Widmore Road. In this period it had attained a peak of popularity, but with the foundation of a public library in Bromley in 1894 membership began to decline. The Institute nearly closed in 1906 because of its financial difficulties. A number of local societies were invited to use its premises as their headquarters or meeting place to augment funds. However in 1934 with the presentation of a claim for dilapidations from the freeholders, a declining membership and the lack of use its facilities received, the institute was finally forced to close.
Extent1 Box
Access StatusOpen
Created byBromley Literary Institute
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020